The Daisy Hill Farm Market is located at 214 West Patent Road in Bedford. The farm stand is open Fridays and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. They offer fresh organic produce farmed in nearby fields. Shoppers can choose from a wide variety of lettuces, vegetables, perennial flowers, pies, cookies and homemade breads. They also sell home-made jams, sauces, grass-fed meats and gourmet items.
The John Jay Homestead Farm Market runs Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m now through mid-October. It is now open in a new location in the field adjacent to the carriage barn education and visitor center, 400 Jay Street in Katonah. For a list of vendors, click here.
According to the NY Federation of Farmers Markets, choosing to eat locally is healthy for you and the environment, and it supports your local farmers as well.
Here are some more benefits:Health benefits:
· Higher nutrients from organically managed soil
· Less exposure to synthetic pesticides and fertilizers
· No synthetic growth or breeding hormones
· No synthetic additives
· No antibiotics
· No genetically engineered seeds or other inputs (GMOs)
· No sewage sludge
· No irradiation
· Builds biodiversity
· Reduces excess nitrogen
· Fights climate change
· Keeps water cleaner
· Builds healthy soil
· Saves energy
· Protects wildlife
· Brings people together at markets and community supported farms
· Keeps money in the local economy
· Incorporates the true cost of food
· Supports smaller and beginning farmers
· Protects the health of farm workers
Make sure to stop at the ATM on your way there because many of the merchants only take cash. And don’t forget to bring your reusable bag!