Updated: Dec. 22
Added County Legislator Peter Harckham to the poll, after a reader suggestion.
We'll be posting our winner tomorrow - get your last minute votes in by end of day Thursday!
Updated, Dec 15
New suggestions via reader email:
- Jere Hochman, Bedford Central superintendent, who has "been quietly and steadily building community, doing the right things - a true educator."
- Katherine Vockins, founder and head of Rehabilitation Through the Arts, which uses creative arts to transform life behind bars.
- Jennifer Cook for back to Katonah.
They are added to the poll.
First story, Dec. 14
As news of "The Protestor" being named 2011 Time Magazine Person of the Year hits, we thought it would be interesting to see who locals would nominate as Bedford-Katonah's citizen of the year.
Time has bestowed the famous distinction on one person every year since 1927, according to this Huffington Post story. The editors' selection reflects whomever influenced news the most in any given year.
Last year's choice was Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and this year's nominees include Steve Jobs, Herman Cain and Kate Middleton.
Who will it be for Bedford-Katonah? Today we launch Patch's first annual contest to find out. The winner will get a $75 gift certificate to their favorite local restaurant.
- Sherry Wolf, in upholding the mission of the , which is to improve the dignity, security and well-being of our neighbors in need by providing food, clothing and access to other resources.
- , Bedford's supervisor, for leading the town board through a difficult budget process, ultimately
- Frank Zipp, for ?
- Jon Jensen, for entering a smoking building ?
- for handling a controversial hiring process, two major storms and and a that affected local schools?
- Local entrepreneurs who had the courage to start businesses like , and in a down economy?
- Mohamed Elsaid, Robert Belcher and Robin Day,
- Another young whiz kid?
- Emergency responders who came to your aid?
- A neighbor who lent a helping hand when you needed it most?
- Someone else entirely?
Take our poll below and add your own suggestions for person of the year in the comments below. If we end up getting many more than 10 nominees, we'll post the top ten for a final vote before announcing the winner.