Updated 4 p.m.
Chief Schuberg reported that the fire was caused by a freezer unit in the kitchen and it was electrical in nature.
Dajna Novakovic, whose family owns the Pizza Station business, said they hoped to re-open the restaurant but at this point were still assessing damage with insurance agents.
Most of the blaze was contained to the restaurant space, however, the fire, smoke and electrical damage were considerable enough to displace the six residents living in the apartments above, according to Michael de Vulpillieres, media relations manager with the American Red Cross Greater New York.
The Red Cross provided the residents with emergency lodging, referrals for further housing needs and emergency financial assistance for clothing, food and storage.
Firefighters responded to an early morning fire at 27 The Parkway, home to the in Katonah, and quickly put out a smoky blaze, said Bennett Schuberg, fire chief of the Katonah Fire Department.
"We responded to the scene with assistance from the Bedford Hills, Goldens Bridge and Mt. Kisco fire departments, plus the Katonah-Bedford Hills ambulance corps," he said about the fire that started just before 7 a.m. "We knocked it down in about 15-20 minutes and then did searches to make sure everyone was safe and outside of the building."
For more on Schuberg's remarks at the scene, watch the video posted with this story.
The fire was reported by a 911 call made by Ann Luria, owner of in Katonah. She told Patch a man came into the store around 7 a.m. and asked her to step down to the corner of Katonah Avenue and The Parkway to look at the smoke coming from 27 The Parkway, the building that houses the restaurant and four apartments upstairs.
Luria called 911 to report the fire.
Residents of the apartments upstairs report that an unidentified man came into the building and pounded on their doors until they woke up. No one smelled smoke or felt heat from the fire. Luria did not know the man's name who reported the fire and the residents said the man did not identify himself before leaving the scene.
"Whoever that was saved us," said Nicole Jones, who has lived there for two years. "I think he went to the train and went to work after that—that man was an angel of God."
Jones, still dressed in her pajamas, said she saw smoke billowing from the building but no flames. She and her neighbors, Judith and Julio Milla and their two girls, were welcomed into the and given breakfast. The restaurant also donated coffee to all of the first responders.
"If I saw that man I would say thank you so much," said Judith Milla. "No smoke alarm went off or anything. He's my hero."
Harold Ernsteins, the trustee of the building, said he heard about the fire when a tenant phoned him around 7:30 a.m. He did not yet know of the extent of the damage and was awaiting more information.
"The most important thing is no one was hurt," he said.
Dajna Novakovic, whose family owns the pizza business, had not yet arrived at the scene from his home in Pawling.
Check back with Patch for updates to this story.
Editor's note: Bedford Hills Fire Department was not originally listed as a responding department. We regret the error.