Fire Engulfs New Castle Home

Firefighters from three towns spent two hours knocking down the blaze at 9 Gray Rock Park Rd.

A home in New Castle was destroyed by flames early Sunday morning when a fire likely spread from the fireplace to the attic, said Mount Kisco Fire Department Chief Tom Jackson.

Firefighters from Mount Kisco responded to the call at 9 Gray Rock Park Rd. around 2 a.m. and, with the help of mutual aid from Bedford Hills and Chappaqua, knocked down the main body in half and hour. Altogether, two hours were spent extinguishing the flames. The house is now unlivable, said the chief.  

"Another one started by a fireplace," said Jackson, referring to an accidental fire last Thursday night in New Castle.    

This morning's blaze likely started in the fireplace, which the homeowner was using to heat his roughly 3,000-square-foot ranch that remained without power, and spread up the outside wall and into the attic. When units arrived at the scene, the flames were already through the roof.

Jackson said it was a "difficult fire to fight." 

No injuries were reported to the homeowner or firefighters. The rest of the family who lived in the home had previously moved out because of the lack of power.  

"Regular home fireplaces are not designed to be heating your house," cautioned Jackson. "Fireplaces in the living room are not designed to burn for days on end. They get too hot."

Millwood and Ossining fire departments covered the rest of Mount Kisco during the incident.

billy November 05, 2012 at 11:25 PM
i must say im a mount kisco firemen and we are really great at what we do and we try are best to service our fire district
Lori November 05, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Thank you so much sir. You are a hero and I believe that you and the other fire fighters saved our homes and in my husband's case our lives. THANK YOU!!
GRPR November 06, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Billy, I too am so grateful for your dedication. I watched as you and all of the other fireman worked selflessly to extinguish this fire as quickly as possible. You are all true professionals and I really do believe your actions were heroic. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
billy November 07, 2012 at 04:28 PM
noo problem at all we are always there and willing to help anybody in need
Sharan November 13, 2012 at 03:37 AM
To Billy and his colleagues: It was my home that burned that night, and we are extraordinarily grateful to the three departments that so swiftly responded. My husband was asleep on the sofa and at the time of the fire, there was actually NO fire in the fireplace! The fire marshall explained that the exterior of the fireplace was not built to code and was basically turning to kindling every single time we lit a fire. It was a very rare night, I had taken my three children, one of whom is special needs, to my sister's home for warmth. We were dog sitting for a friend and that dog jumped on my husband and awoke him at 2am. We have an amazing neighborhood and tremendous support from the community. I cannot express our gratitude enough; we are lucky to be alive and extremely thankful the trees were cleared by those who live on the block. Let's all raise our glasses to a new year ahead and hopefully a very safe one too.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »