John Lewis, the namesake of the Town of Lewisboro, will receive his own holiday, St. Paul's Episcopal Parish announced.
A ceremony for it will be held on Saturday with a celebration at St. Paul's Parish, which is located in Vista and off of Route 123. Lewisboro Supervisor Peter Parsons will be attending to give an official proclamation. The date will be the first Saturday following Oct. 1, the churched announced, which was the date of Lewis' death.
Highlights of the celebration will include an ecumenical service, prayers and hymns. The church notes that they would have been familiar to Lewis, who lived from 1793 to 1871.
Lewis had local roots in the area. According to a biography from the church, he was born in a farmhouse, which was at the intersection of Elmwood Road and what is today known as Route 123 (then it was known as Smith Ridge Road). Lewis eventually went to New York City and, through Wall Street, became wealthy. The town took on its name after Lewis returned in 1840 and made a large donation of cash for schools. The initial name was called Lewisborough, the biography states, before it was shortened to Lewisboro.