Lewisboro Elementary School is safe for occupancy, the Katonah-Lewisboro school district announced, following a lightning strike on Sept. 2 that damaged a chimney.
In a message called "Lewisboro Elementary All Clear," the district detailed what happened. After the damage was checked, asbestos tiles were discovered, which prompted the district to ask staff getting ready for the new school year to leave the building. Environmental specialists from outside the district did more than 20 tests, the district stated.
The district added that there was no asbestos found from the tests, which included samples from vacuumed material from walls, carpets and floors, along with sampling from the air.
There will be some abatement work, however.
"A minor amount of abatement will take place in the nurse's office, and we are pressing to complete the work this weekend."